HOUSTON or THE CENTRAL TEXAS AREA
Neel-Schaffer seeks applications from qualified individuals for the position of Senior Highway Design Transportation Engineer to assist in a wide variety of transportation projects focused on rural, urban, and metropolitan roadways, including freeways, toll roads, and interchange design.
The right candidate will have a minimum of 12 years of experience.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs work involving the application of all conventional aspects of civil engineering to the functional area of the assignment.
- Exercises judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Conceptualizes the initial civil design approach for major phases of large transportation (highway/roadway) related projects, experience in schematics and final design (PS&E).
- Plans, schedules, conducts or coordinates civil engineering work. Also, supervises the design and ongoing progress of a project, including the coordination of the project with City, State, and County officials, and other outside agencies.
- Resolves a variety of complex problems, (i.e. conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials, difficult coordination requirements).
- Serves as a liaison between clients and agencies, subcontractors, and design teams.
- Reviews plans and schedules, and prepares or reviews technical specifications, contract documents, CPM schedules, technical reports, and estimates.
- Participates in contract bidding and administration; may observe project action on site.
- Supervises the work of less experienced engineers and/or technical support personnel assigned to the project.
- Performs other duties assigned by a Project Engineer or Program/Project Manager
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Registration as a Professional Engineer, Texas PE registration required within six months of hire date
- Minimum of 12 years of progressive highway design experience
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience
- Project experience applying State DOT and AASHTO guidelines
- Ability to participate in project pursuits, proposal preparation and interviews
- Technical ability to prepare feasibility studies, proposals (Project Approach) and reports, as well as final design (PS&E)
- Ability to coordinate all phases of a project
- At least 5 years with MicroStation and GEOPAK
- Civil Engineering Degree
- Masters Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering or Planning
- Experience with SS10 and Bentley OpenRoads Designer
- Experience with Bentley OpenRoads ConceptStation
- TxDOT project experience
- TxDOT pre-certification for Roadway Design, Freeway Interchanges, and Route Studies & Schematic Design
Equal Opportunity Employer