NASHVILLE, TN (other Southeastern locations will be considered)
The SoilTech Consultants / Neel-Schaffer team is seeking applications from qualified candidates for the position of Senior Geotechnical Engineer. This person will be based in Nashville, TN (but other Southeast locations will be considered), and will work with a team of engineers and technicians on a variety of projects across the Southeast during planning, design and/or construction phases. SoilTech offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits, including health insurance and a generous 401(k) match.
SoilTech is a sister firm to Neel-Schaffer, Inc., and a wholly owned subsidiary of Neel Schaffer Engineers and Planners.
The majority of workload anticipated will involve geotechnical investigation and design for transportation facilities. This person must have strong technical skills to perform geotechnical calculations and analyses while occasionally directing and reviewing the work of others. Excellent verbal and written communication skills will be necessary, as findings and updates must be routinely reported to local and distant team members and clients. The senior geotechnical engineer must also assist in the growth of the company’s geotechnical practice, including assisting in proposal preparation and marketing of current and future clients.
Job duties will include but not be limited to:
- Serve as Project Manager and/or Task Manager
- Coordinate and manage field explorations, including work performed by subconsultants and subcontractors
- Direct (and perform, as needed) the sampling and logging of soils and rock during subsurface explorations
- Perform geotechnical engineering calculations and analyses
- Prepare geotechnical engineering reports, budgets/schedules and proposals
- Assist in the preparation of plans and specifications
- Provide technical review of work products prepared by others
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- 7 to 15-plus years of experience in geotechnical engineering field
- Professional engineering license in Tennessee (or ability to gain reciprocity within 6 months)
- Experience in geotechnical proposal and report writing
- Frequent written and verbal communication is expected
- Experience with performing design analyses for foundations, slopes, etc.
- Valid driver’s license
- Occasional local and overnight travel
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test
Preferred, but not required:
- Master’s degree, with focus on geotechnical engineering, is highly preferred
- Experience/familiarity with seismic design, design-build projects, retaining wall design, AASHTO LRFD, plans preparation
- Proficiency with gINT and Microstation/Openroads CADD
- Experience with managing materials testing contracts
- OSHA safety training